Epic Charity Trek Success for Local Business
Released on: April 08, 2011, 11:56 am
Individuals from carpet cleaners, upholstery cleaning and damage restoration business
Chem-Dry® have raised in excess of £8,000 following a successful climb
to the summit of Kilimanjaro, the world’s tallest freestanding
mountain, in aid of the Chem-Dry’s Charity of the Year - Asthma UK.
The group of 15, made up of employees, franchisees and individuals from Chem-Dry’s
private equity company LDC, spent six days trekking through rainforest, moorland and
alpine desert, with the aim of reaching the ice capped tip of the mountain – Uhuru
Peak. The participants walked six to eight hours every day and lived out of
backpacks for the duration of the challenge. The thinning air and ever changing
weather conditions tested the group’s resolve and determination to battle on to the
summit. All but one made it to the top, albiet exhausted and in pain after a
gruelling nine hour climb in the darkness and freezing cold temperatures.
Andrew Lloyd-Jones, Chem-Dry UK Managing Director, said: “Chem-Dry wanted to take
part in a challenge that would help pull in substantial funds for our Charity of the
Year, Asthma UK. The Kilimanjaro climb was a huge mental and physical challenge that
saw everyone struggle at times. Reaching the summit and raising over £8,000 for the
charity is a huge achievement for the whole of Chem-Dry. I would personally like to
thank all of our sponsors for their kind support.
Catherine Morton, Corporate Partnerships Officer for Asthma UK, said:“Congratulations to the group for their amazing achievement and huge thanks for
their generous donations which will help fund vital research into the causes of
asthma. Some people with asthma can’t even climb the stairs at home let alone climb
Kilimanjaro, so this money will be a great help in supporting them through
specialist services like our Asthma UK Adviceline“.
There is still time to donate and help support the Asthma UK cause. Cheques are to
be made payable to Chem-Dry UK – Kilimanjaro and sent to: Kristy Sanderson, Chem-Dry
UK, Colonial House, Swinemoor Lane, Beverley HU17 0LS.
- Ends -
Notes to Editor
• Chem-Dry is the world’s leading carpet and upholstery cleaner and one of the
UK’s leading disaster restoration companies.
• Chem-Dry is a cleaning franchise network business with over 720 operators, serving 28 million homes as well as commercial carpet cleaning.
• Chem-Dry was established in the UK in 1987 with a Yorkshire-based national
Mount Kilimanjaro Facts
• Highest mountain in Africa and 4th highest of the Seven Summits. Considered the
tallest freestanding mountain in the world, rising 15,100 feet (4,600 meters) from
base to summit.
• Kilimanjaro was first climbed on October 5, 1889 by German geologist Hans
Meyer, Marangu scout Yoanas Kinyala Lauwo, and Austrian Ludwig Purtscheller.
• Kilimanjaro has five common routes to its highest summit: Marangu Route;
Machame Route; Rongai Route; Lemosho Route; and Mweka Route. Machame and Lemosho
routes are popular and scenic.
• The biggest challenge and danger is the high altitude. Climbers die from
improper acclimatization and altitude sickness rather than falls.
About Asthma UK
1. Asthma UK is the charity dedicated to improving the health and well-being of
the 5.4 million people live in the UK whose lives are affected by asthma.
2. Follow Asthma UK’s media team on Twitter, at Twitter.com/AsthmaUKMedia. For
up-to-date news on asthma, information and publications, visit the Asthma UK website
3. Kickasthma.org.uk is Asthma UK’s interactive website for children and young
people with asthma. The site offers support and advice and includes an asthma
dictionary, problem page, games and a messageboard.
4. For independent and confidential advice on asthma, call the Asthma UK
Adviceline, which is staffed by asthma nurse specialists. It is free to call from a
BT landline and open weekdays from 9am to 5pm on 0800 121 62 44.
Contact Details: Mark Richardson
Chem-Dry Franchising Belprin Road
Beverley Yorkshire, HU17 0LP
Back to previous page
Submit your press release